Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Poem

I'm crumbling
falling piece by piece
as my world is torn apart
and my will is failing
It's hard to imagine it was ever different
frailty was once stability
A warm breeze giving way to winter's chill
but I remember
I remember how the stars shone
illuminating possibilities
chasing away doubts
Reflecting hope in my eyes
but they fell
leaving behind a blank sky
a black hole that does nothing except devour

Yet even without light
there's no relief of darkness
darkness would hide the mistakes and the slips
I see them perfectly
holes and cracks
rips in my heart that were once whole
spread and surround me
as if walking on a pond unable to support me
frozen by fear
and standing alone on the edge
watching memories
dreams
hopes fall slowly from their branches
daring me to reach out
to catch them before they are lost
never saved
never brought back
remembered only by the hole left behind

It's lonely out in the middle
With every passing second waiting
I wait for the turning point
to fall through the ice and feel water's bite
to look up and see that final hole crumbling
maybe I'll go tumbling down like Alice,
passing everything that slipped through the ice before me

It's lonely out in the middle
where no one dares to walk
cries fall on deaf ears along the shore
I don't blame them
it's dangerous out here
Where the slightest movement spells disaster
I endure without the stars
I endure the chill that leaves nothing untouched
because there's no warm blanket
no hot cup of peppermint tea to burn my tongue
So I wait
holding out for another outcome
a different turning point
someone who makes that journey out to meet me
Slips their hand in mine and holds it close
reassuring me
I don't have to endure anything alone

No comments:

Post a Comment